Saturday, October 18, 2014

San Diego to Yuma

I'm here in Tucson and I finally have a phone that works (for the moment) and a WiFi connection. I'll update this travel log in sections before I pack up and move on again.

The day had come to leave Michael, 'Nita, and Steven and hit the road. It was great seeing them but the snows of November are coming to Connecticut whether I'm safely home or not.

I wasn't quite sure where I was headed other than east. I was scheduled to meet Greta in Tucson but not for a couple of days. I had reduced my load again and packed more things off to CT. For some inexplicable reason I had put the California map into the box. 

But how tough could it be? Arizona is too big to miss and I was sure they would hand out tourist maps at the border visitor center. I'd just take this road (Rt 92) east and eventually something would magically appear.



Like a train museum in Campo. The road had dwindled until it was a rough two land through some hard scrabble ranch land, then this delightful little museum popped up and called for attention




It was simple and unassuming, and closed, but it was a chance to get off the bike and stretch my legs.


A metaphor for our lives?
The road basically paralleled the border and showed the harsh desert that separated the two countries. The fence that the U.S. has erected seems like a bizarre joke if you imagine crossing this landscape.



It runs across the desert and then has big gaps in it when it comes to the hills. I didn't get real close to it but it didn't look unclimbable. Maybe the point is to funnel anyone crossing into choke points where they are more easily apprehended.


Going on and on for mile after mile.
I can't imagine how many of millions of dollars were squandered on this.
In El Centro I met a guy who claimed ownership of Mad Maps. A pretty funny guy who had lots to say about just about everything. I had gotten a late start out of San Diego and it was time to pick a spot for the night. I really didn't want to camp where I might be mistaken for an illegal border crosser so I asked if he had a recommendation for a cheap motel in Yuma. He said the Yuma Cabana was a good place for only $40 a night so I jumped on the freeway and picked up speed.

In Yuma his directions were a little vague but it turns out there is a strip of inexpensive motels, all cheap, and all with vacancies. The Yuma Cabana was right in the middle and looked as good as any. Just give me the key and let me put my head on a pillow.



Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment